- Player A makes it public that he would like to play for a team
- That team feels the pressure to pursue him NOW, instead of wait until free agency a year from now
- Team then gives up way too many assets to pursue Player A
- Player A arrives in his desired spot and looks around
- No one is there to play basketball with
You might think I am describing what happened when Carmelo Anthony wanted to play for the New York Knicks way back when, and the Knicks foolishly dealt away a bucket full of assets to Denver to get Carmelo Anthony a year before he would have signed as a free agent.
Actually, what we are describing is the exact same scenario unfolding before our eyes with Paul George. Doug Gottlieb explains in the audio below: