Pro Football Hall of Famer Michael Irvin said he was "in a dark place dealing with" false accusations made during Super Bowl week.
Irvin, who was in Brazil at the time, shared a tweet asking his followers for advice on how to watch the UFC 287 preliminary and main card, which yielded a response from a Twitter user who pointed out that it was "alumni weekend" at his alma mater, the University of Miami, which he said was "a sign" that the legendary wide receiver "should have just stayed in Miami," where the pay-per-view event was being held.
"You might be right bro…. But I was in a dark place from dealing with all that stuff since Super Bowl I had to get away. Thanks bro," Irvin tweeted.
In February, Irvin filed a $100 million lawsuit against a woman who he claims made false accusations about his conduct that could have potentially ruined his career, TMZ Sports reported at the time. The lawsuit, which was obtained by the website after being filed on February 9, claims that Irvin was a victim of a potential "cancel culture" scheme concocted by the woman.
"Rash and thoughtless actions can have severe consequences," the lawsuit stats via TMZ Sports. "Marriott [parent company of Renaissance Hotels] apparently did not appreciate these simple truths when, in a rush to judgment, its employees and management inaccurately and inflammatorily accused Mr. Irvin of misconduct to the National Football League."
Witnesses backed Irvin's previous claim that he "casually exchanged pleasantries" with the accuser and "shook hands" as they departed. The legendary former Dallas Cowboys receiver said he returned to the hotel at which he is staying in Glendale, Arizona, after having dinner and drinks with former teammate Michael Brooks.
“Honestly, I’m a bit baffled with it all,” Irvin told the Dallas Morning News in a phone interview from Arizona on February 8. “This all happened in a 45-second conversation in the lobby. When I got back after going out … I came into the lobby, and I talked to somebody. I talked to this girl. I don’t know her, and I talked to her for about 45 seconds.
“We shook hands. Then, I left. … That’s all I know.”
Irvin was pulled from NFL Network's Super Bowl week coverage after the allegations were made public. “Michael Irvin will not be a part of NFL Network’s Super Bowl LVII week coverage,” said Alex Riethmiller, NFL Media vice president of communications, in a statement obtained by the Dallas Morning News.
Irvin, who also makes appearances on ESPN and is scheduled to be a guest on First Take alongside hosts Molly Qerim and Stephen A. Smith, had previously appeared in NFL Network's coverage of the annual Super Bowl Opening Night ceremony on February 6 before being approached by NFL Media officials regarding the incident off-air. A Glendale Police Department spokesperson and officials from other local police agencies said they weren't unaware of any reported incident involving Irvin, who said there was "absolutely was no sexual wrongdoing" during the encounter.
Colin Cowherd Calls Out Luka Doncic 'He's Becoming Carmelo Anthony'
Here's What Colin Cowherd Thinks of Lakers' Chances of Winning NBA Finals
Colin Cowherd on Odell Beckham Jr. Deal With Ravens: 'It Feels Desperate'
Doug Gottlieb Says Jalen Brunson is the NBA's Most Valuable Player
Jason Whitlock Says Angel Reese Sounds 'Bigoted' Toward Caitlin Clark
Doug Gottlieb Calls Angel Reese Remarks the 'Dumbest Thing I've Ever Heard'
Chris Broussard: Aaron Rodgers Will Have Tom Brady Success In New York
Colin Cowherd Unveils His First NFL Mock Draft For 2023
Another NFL Team Could Make Trade For Aaron Rodgers: Report
Colin Cowherd Says This Non-NFL Playoff Team Will Have Huge Rebound Season