The Boston Red Sox have reached an agreement with third baseman Rafael Devers on a one-year, $17.5 million contract for 2023 to avoid arbitration, sources with knowledge of the deal confirmed to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand on Tuesday (January 3).
The two sides are reportedly still focused on negotiations for a multiyear extension that would stop Devers from hitting the free agent market after the 2023 season, the sources confirmed.
The Red Sox have lost several key contributors from their 2018 World Series team with shortstop Xander Bogaerts, who signed with the San Diego Padres last month and outfielder Mookie Betts, who was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2020.
Boston also lost slugger J.D. Martinez (Dodgers), catcher Christian Vázquez (Minnesota Twins) and pitcher Nathan Eovaldi during free agency this offseason.
Devers is coming off back-to-back All-Star seasons, hitting for a .295 average, 27 home runs and 88 RBIs last season and a .283 average, 139 home runs and 455 RBIs during the past six seasons.
The 26-year-old won the Silver Slugger award and was selected to the MLB second-team in 2021.
Devers is expected by many to get a $300 million-plus contract once he reaches a long-term deal, whether it be with Boston or another MLB team next offseason.
Colin Cowherd Predicts Which NFL Teams Will Survive Week 18, Make Playoffs
Here's Who Sean Payton Thinks No One Wants to See in the NFL Playoffs
Emmanuel Acho Rips Raiders For Benching Derek Carr: 'Bench Josh McDaniels'
Nick Wright: Why Eagles Fans Should Be Nervous Heading into the Postseason
Colin Cowherd on Eagles: 'They Can't Win Super Bowl Without Lane Johnson'
Colin Cowherd Says This Could Be the Perfect Team for Tom Brady Next Year
Colin Cowherd Ranks the Top 10 NFL Teams After Week 16
'Draymond is a Pansy': Jason Whitlock on Draymond Green Getting Fan Ejected
Former NFL Player Rips Dak Prescott: 'Dak is A**'
Emmanuel Acho Says Bill Belichick is Hurting His Legacy: 'He May Need to Retire'